This perennial bestselling resource explains, in plain language, the 20 most important federal employment laws. You can look up what each law allows and prohibits, which businesses must comply, record keeping, posting and reporting requirements, and penalties for violating the law.
New to the 4th edition:
- EEOC final regulations on disparate impact on the Reasonable Factor Other than Age (RFOA) defense.
- EEOC’s final regulations interpreting the ADAAA, including list of conditions that will typically not be disabilities and reinterpretation of “substantially limits” standard.
- Updated statistics on the cost of healthcare.
- State laws restricting or prohibiting credit checks for employment purposes.
- Department of Labor’s final clean-up regulations (especially on new tip credit rules).
- Proposed regulations regarding domestic service workers and companionship service.
- Proposed regulations implementing changes to add veterans and aggravation of pre-existing serious injuries for military family leave.
- Proposed changes to certification requirements for military family leave and extension of R&R leave for family members.
- Discussion of NLRB’s enforcement actions regarding employer social media policies and practices.
- The 2012 OSHA memo regarding punishment of employees who report injuries.
- EEOC’s inclusion of employer failure to accommodate pregnancy as an emerging workplace issue in its enforcement plan.
- And much more!
The 4th edition also includes an update of all of the 50-state charts in the book.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
Chapter 2. Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA)
Chapter 3. Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
Chapter 4. Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Chapter 5. Equal Pay Act (EPA)
Chapter 6. Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Chapter 7. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Chapter 8. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Chapter 9. Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
Chapter 10. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)
Chapter 11. National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)
Chapter 12. The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act)
Chapter 13. Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA)
Chapter 14. Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA)
Chapter 15. Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA)
Chapter 16. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX)
Chapter 17. Civil Rights Act of 1866 (Section 1981)
Chapter 18. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII)
Chapter 19. Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
Chapter 20. Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN)
About the Authors:
Amy DelPo is an attorney, author and consulting editor who specializes in employment and family law issues. She is the author or co-author of several employment law books, including The Performance Appraisal Handbook, Dealing with Problem Employees, and Create Your Own Employee Handbook.
Lisa Guerin is an attorney and editor at Nolo specializing in employment law. She is the author or co-author of several books, including The Essential Guide to Workplace Investigations and Create Your Own Employee Handbook.
- Additional Information
- Bought Together